Color is an essential part of room design. Above any other element, color creates the aura of the area. It sets the atmosphere of the room. It is therefore, absolutely important that one has knowledge on how to play with color schemes in order to gain the desired effect.
Normally, you have to determine at the onset, what kind of ambiance you plan to accomplish. Are you striving for that effect of energy? Of vigor? Or are you endeavoring for the relaxed and comfortable feel?
To pull off that lively, enthusiastic atmosphere, utilize “warm” colors. These are shades of red, orange, and yellow.
Contrariwise, a subdued, care-free effect can be achieved by using “cool” colors. These hues consist of blue, green, and violet.
Having determined that, the following are some interior design ideas, specifically with regard to color, which you can apply to enhance the mood further:
- Put in a touch of color by placing around pillows, blankets, and quilts. Using their colors and patterns, these add-ons could not only give comfort but will emphasize the color harmony just right. Darker pigments are more appropriate to use as they mean to highlight.
- Touch up with plants and flowers. Make use of the beauty of nature. You can plant them by yourself but if you don’t have the green thumb, purchase them from local nurseries or home centers. Select plants which need little care. Even better, you can use artificial ones from the market because they can be kept permanently green and vibrantly colorful with just occasional dustings.
- Put some color on the floor. Use lively rugs or carpet, paint your floor, use ornate tiles. The right color adds texture and ties into the theme of the room.
- Adorn with a large mirror. Choose one with flamboyant, colorful frame. The mirror reflects the color from around the room and brightens the space.
- Display art pieces. They add color and form and highlight the over-all impact of your interior design. Framed photographs, paintings, sculptures, are good decorating pieces.
- Choose the correct fabric or wallpaper because they commonly create the biggest impression to the eye. Because they usually take up considerable expanse in a room, their colors affect much in creating the mood of the room. Your selection of their color significantly reflects the “warm” or “cool” ambiance you want to achieve.
- Pay close attention to the color of your walls. Preferably paint them with light shades as this will be the backdrop hue that will put emphasis to your furniture and fittings.
- Paint your ceiling a shade or two lighter than the walls. But of course, if you want to experiment with the less traditional style, you can always test the effect of darker colors.
The general trend among professionals is to use color according to this guideline: Divide color use to about 60% of the room in the background (lightest) color, 30% in the mid-tone color, and 10% in the brightest, accent colors.
It is very beneficial to know how to utilize colors to your advantage. Their significant function in interior decorating is never one to be ignored.
- Punches of Color (sfrealestatetoday.com)